Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Top 10 list

Texas Monthly recently put out the Top 10 restaurants in Dallas, which you can find here: http://www.texasmonthly.com/1000-01-01/webextra28-2.php. How Dali got to be No. 1, I have no idea. The wine is pretty good but the food just doesn't wow me. As for the rest of the list, I haven't tried Tillman's or York Street yet but I've heard they are both list worthy. Five Sixty underwhelmed but everyone in Dallas should go there at least once just for view.

Here's my list of the 10 places you should try in Dallas. It's not necessarily a Top 10 list per se. But they are the places I recommend when asked. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. 48 nights (Oak Cliff)- Only have a few night left (ends end of July) but this gorilla restaurant is worth checking out if you aren't a picky eater and want to have a new type of dining experience. It's in a strip mall across from the Valero off 30 and is only opened for 2 seatings Monday and Tuesday nights. Guest chef creates a 4 to 5 course menu which isn't disclosed until week prior and it's BYOB. You sit where you want at tables with canned goods as the centerpiece. Grab a table next to someone that looks fun and enjoy the experience.

2. Fearing's (Ritz)- The food is basically how I imagine fine dining in Texas should be without all the pretense. He does interestng things with interesting proteins. Try some venison or antelope while you're there. It'll be worth it. Start with the the oyster appetizer (my fave). And don't be surprised if the Chef stops by to say hello. Dean Fearing is proud that his name is on the door and sells it.

3. Stephan Pyles (Ross) - A lot more subtle than Fearing's but still worth the price of admission. Try a ceviche sampler for a culinary adventure. Stephan Pyles has one of the best up and coming chefs in Dallas (shout out Matt McAllister). He's one to watch.

4. Abacus (McKinney Ave)- I have never had a meal that disappointed me here. It's bar is fun (try it on Thursday nights) but the food is where it's at. And if you don't order the lobster shooters, you'll be sorry.

5. Nick & Sam's (not to be confused with Nick & Sam's Grill - don't bother) (Maple). It may not be the best steak in Dallas but it's the steakhouse that keeps me coming back for more. Love the complimentary cavier at the beginning and port at the end. The staff is always on top of things and the food is always consistently good. My favorite bar in Dallas during the winter.

6. Louie's (Henderson). It's a dive. The bartenders and staff can be surly but the pizza is delicious as is the Greek salad. Bring cash. They may not take your credit card.

7. Madras Pavillion (Richardson). I love Indian food. I wish there was really good Indian closer to where I live (although Roti comes close). Madras is not for everyone, I know. It's vegetarian and kosher so if you like your tandoori chicken or lamb curry, it's not for you.

8. Hattie's (Oak Cliff). Man, I need to go back there for brunch soon. Chicken and waffles is calling my name.

9. Sushi Axiom (Henderson). Ok, may not be the most amazing sushi in town (go to Tei Tei and ask the sushi chef to surprise you for that) but it's good sushi at a good price. Try the Mustang Roll. It can get a little loud in there when the DJ shows up but that's part of the fun.

10. Taverna (near Travis walk). I'm not a huge Lombardi fan. I think he tries too many concepts and should stick with what he's good at. Taverna is what he's good at. Try the risotto.

Well, that's it. I'm sure there's a few I've left off but there's plenty of blog left in me.

And yeah! I have my first follower! Thanks, Julie!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment