Monday, June 14, 2010

Here goes nothing

People are always asking me, "How do you know so much about where to eat in Dallas?" Well, the answer to that is pretty simple -- I like to eat and I like to read up on the new places in town. I often get requests for recommendations so I thought I'd start this blog to help ya'll out.

Since I'm starting from square one, here's a list of my latest adventures:

1. Meddlesome Moth (Oak Lawn) - I really, really want to like you. You have a great vibe and and great beer list. But your food is just not any good. You are trying to be a lot fancier than you are capable of (bone marrow, seriously?). Be less gastro and more pub and maybe you'll win me over. Victor Tango (which I will never eat at again -- the food I had there twice was so bad)had to learn this lesson. You should too,

2. Neighborhood Services Tavern (Henderson) - Definitely check it out. Food is pretty darned good. And their desserts are probably the best in town. Ding Dong 2.0 was my fave until I tried the rice crispie treat ice cream sandwich. Not super crazy about your wine list though.

3. Eddie V's (Oak Lawn)- what Ocean Prime would be if OP's food was any good. The bar is quite a scene but their seafood is the reason to go. My seared ahi was delicious. Manhattans were delicious.

4. Hacienda on Henderson (Henderson - duh) - might be good for drinks but the food is AWFUL. My brisket tacos made me so sick I had to leave the party. Queso is decent but that's about it.

5. Bailey's Prime (Park Lane) - It's a chain steakhouse but I encourage people to check it out. Steaks are quite tasty and so were the crabcakes. They claim their onion rings are the best in Dallas - don't know how you make that claim when you've only been open a couple of months. They're good; not Dallas greatest good. And they need to up their sides a bit. Dear Steakhouses, asparagus is easy to make tasty. Grill it up with a little olive oil and salt. Avoid the steaming and drab hollandaise. Bonus points to Bailey's for their new sommelier - Ashley. She knows her stuff and used to work at one of my favorite restaurants in America -- The Oak Room in Louisville.

6 Charlie Palmer at the Joule. Checked it out again recently after a long absence. Food is great. More people should go. Went on a Friday night and it was pretty dead (good HH scene though) which is sad since the food is so very good.

Well that's it for today. It's Copper River season and I am going to try to have some at Abacus (after my lobster shooters, of course) this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Kent Rathbun never disappoints.

1 comment: