Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cafe Madrid

I went to Cafe Madrid last night after a couple of happy hours. A girlfriend and I had been talking about going since we came back from Madrid this spring. Now, I'll admit, prior to Madrid, I was never a big fan of tapas dining. Seemed to me that you spent a whole bunch of money to get a couple of bites (if you were lucky) of a random array of stuff. Then I went to Madrid and fell in love with the tapas style of eating. Big bountiful plates of vegetables and cheeses followed by a plate calamari. You always seemed to have just enough without ever feeling so full. Was hoping to relive that experiece last night, but alas, no. Cafe Madrid reminded me why I wasn't a fan of tapas dining before Madrid. Small plates of bland but garlicky food. There were three of us and we ordered calamari (which was pretty good but had a slight floury taste to it), spinach and pinenuts (needed salt), cheese plate (i heart cheese), mushrooms in garlic (lots of stems, no real flavor), a chicken breast and a salmon filet. Nothing really wowed me and I left very full but unsatisfied. Guess I'll need to go back to Madrid!

Their sangria was tasty, although I thought my neighbor's sangria at my first happy hour was tastier. Need to get that recipe.

Going to Eddie V's tonight to see Hunter Sullivan. Too broke to have dinner but I'm sure the manhattans (or martinis) will be quite tasty.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment