Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tillman's Roadhouse

Went to Tillman's Roadhouse this week. First, it's such a pretty restaurant. Kind of rustic chic. With wood paneled walls and crystal chandeliers. Roman Holiday started playing in the bar on the back wall while we were there. Nice touch. Must remember to rent that movie one of these days.

We get brought our "amuse bouche" if you will, which isn't really an "amuse bouche" but I like saying "amuse bouche" so that's what I"m going to call it. Amuse bouche. (see how I got it in again) Two giant silver ladles appear. In one you have truffled popcorn and the other was shelled peanuts. Loved the truffled popcorn. Wish I could bring it with me to the movies. Peanuts were good and salty (sweet nuts kinda gross me out, fyi).

We ordered a bottle of some wine I can't remember the name of. I wish I did. It was good. But it really doesn't matter because it's apparently only sold at Tillman's and I'd probably recognize the name on the wine list if I saw it so I can order it again (my loyal 2 readers, on the other hand, are out of luck. Sorry, I'm a bad blogger.)

I ordered the pork chop. First, it was HUGE. One look at me and anyone can tell I'm a clean your plate kinda gal. I was only able to get through half. It was cooked well but I found the pork chop to be a little bland and the creamy sauce it had for it didn't really add anything for me. What did do something for me was the tempura (I think they were Shiner battered) green beans. Yum-my. Could eat those all day. J ordered the salmon which looked all healthy and stuff. He said the mushrooms on top were a new addition but he found the salmon to be unevenly cooked and a little too rare in places. So entrees were not a raving success. Next time, I'm going with the venison frito pie.

J insisted we get dessert. We got a half order (thank goodness they do half orders) of the smores. They give you a little block pot o' sterno which they light on fire and let you roast your marshmallows yourself! The waiter tried to explain to us how to make a smore but I shewed him away, "hello, girl scout, I got this". Behind us a table of about 8 women had already started their smores and actually broke out in "kumbaya" (they must have been girl scouts too). Not making this up! Not often I get serenaded.

The marshmallows were homemade and in 3 different flavors -- orange (my fave), maple and coffee (really strong. would taste awesome with scotch). Now I love roasting marshmallows and when it comes to roasting marshmallows, I pretty much follow the Beavis and Butthead motto of "fire, fire fire." I want the whole thing engulfed in flames until it's a charcoal briquette on the outside and sweet gooey goodness on the inside. It took awhile for the fire to get going so I didn't get my maximum flame fixation until mallow #3 but it was still fun. J and I fought over superior flame position but I think he let me win because he was afraid of me setting something on fire). They also gave you little bits of chocolate and very delicious homemade graham crackers that really put the boxed kind to shame.

After the first smore, I soon realized that it wasn't going to take me very long to become very full. But did that mean I stopped eating? Hells to the no! There were still marshmallows to incinerate! Oh, how those damned delicious marshmallows (probably aided by that truffled popcorn) expanded in my stomach. I was full for a good 20 hours later. But it was worth the bloat.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment