Sunday, August 22, 2010

Rachel is great. She made a chocolate cake

So yesterday I had a birthday dinner at a friend's house. I volunteered to bring dessert and, for some reason, I decided to make a chocolate cake . . . from scratch. I have no idea why I decided to do it. For those of you who know me, I am not a baker. I love to cook but too many things can go wrong with baking. You get one measurement off, you have a mess, and you won't know you've made a mistake until after it gets out of the oven. I'm just not exact enough.

But anyway, yesterday I decided to make a from scratch chocolate cake. It helped that I had a recipe from Cook's Illustrated, which is the BEST cooking magazine out there. If you follow a Cook's Illustrated recipe, you will never get it wrong. They test and test and test with different methods and ingredients until the recipe is exactly right. When I need a foolproof recipe, that's where I go.

So back to the chocolate cake. It really wasn't that hard. I don't own a stand mixer so I couldn't mix it just like the recipe suggested but I think it came out really good. The final product was really rich but light enough where you could have more than a couple of bites. Everyone agreed it was tasty. I'll probably do it again. And best part, guess what I'm having for breakfast? :)

1 comment: