Saturday, March 19, 2011

Komali - A Second Look

So K wanted to take me out to lunch to "celebrate" my new job at my new firm. I put "celebrate" in quotes because it was a celebration for me but for K, who inherited several of my crazier cases, it was bittersweet. I chose Komali because I wanted to check it out for lunch and try it out again after a slightly disappointing first look.

I arrived at Komali and was immediately greeted by a smiling Chef Salum. Have you gotten any rest?, I asked. He laughed and shook his head.

The restaurant was not very busy. I'm not sure the word has gotten out yet that Komali is opened for dinner. Well, except for the "ladies who lunch" crowd that is. All of the tables which were occupied were filled with older, HP ladies. I guess I missed that memo for the Lady Who Lunches Tour. Or maybe I'm just not on the LWL mailing list yet . . . hmmmm.

Another reason for the lack of crowd could be the prices. Komali's lunch menu is identical to its dinner menu so you're not getting any break on prices at lunchtime. I'm not sure how many people in this town want to spend $16 - $18 for lunch entrees.

We had a table of 5. Three of us ordered the chili relleno and two of us ordered the chicken enchiladas. Both dishes was very, very good. The chili relleno, which I had, was stuffed with a crab meat and pepper stuffing, and served with a side of rice and homemade corn tortillas. I loved the chili relleno. The chili is grilled, not fried, and so it had a nice, smokey flavor. There's a slightly spicy tomato sauce which the chili sits on which is very flavorful and just a hint of sour cream is squirted on top. The crab meat stuffing is what makes this dish, however. And when I say stuffing, don't misunderstand me. You aren't going to get a crab cake with a bunch of bread crumb filler inside. Nope, red and green chilis and a ton of jumbo lump crab meat stuff this chili delightfully. This dish is definitely worth the price tag. And those homemade corn tortillas? OMG. I don't think I can eat corn tortillas any place else again.

The chicken enchiladas looked delicious as well. Again, no filler. Just tortillas, chicken, and a tomatillo sauce with slices of avocado on top. I'm going to order this next time.

But the dish we absolutely fell in love with was the Chocoflan. A moist chocolate cake, topped with a dense flan, topped with a caramel sauce and pecans. You must try it. Not too sweet, but extremely moist and flavorful. It's now my second favorite dessert in Dallas (The Grape's Valhrona chocolate terrine with brandied cherries is still numero uno).

I think Komali has found its footing. I'm very happy to see that. Can't wait to go back.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment