Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Celebrity Cafe & Bakery

So the next stop on my Lady Who Lunches Tour was Celebrity Cafe & Bakery in Highland Park Village (I refuse to call it HPV. That's an STD, not a place to shop and eat). It's the perfect little lunch place. Emphasis on little. It's not a big space. You order at the counter up front and, if you want to eat there, you have to either sit outside or sit at the few, cramped tables they have upstairs. I usually order my meal to go there but this time we decided to eat upstairs. We snagged the last table which had juuuuusssttttt enough room for the 2 of us.

Despite its name, Celebrity's menu isn't fancy. The menu is comprised of quite a few simple salads, sandwiches, soups and quiches. And that's usually just what a lady who lunches needs. K ordered the tuna salad plate which she describes as her "favorite lunch." A scoop of tuna salad on greens, with a few slices of avocado, a hard boiled egg, and a cup of fruit. Nothing fancy, just a nice, filling lunch. I wasn't very hungry so I just ordered a bowl of soup. Their soups change daily and today I ordered the chicken enchilada. It was delicious and tasted exactly like chicken enchiladas in a ranchero sauce. I could have used a few more vegetables and a little more chicken though.

Love Celebrity's iced tea. You have a choice of multiple flavors, green or black. I like the ginger peach the best but sometimes I switch it up and go for whatever green tea option they're pouring.

I almost passed out when I ordered my bowl of soup and iced tea and, as the cashier handed me my number, told me I owed $14.01 Wait, wha? Fourteen dollars for a bowl of soup and an iced tea? Wow, what exactly was this soup made of? Did they use the "nine effing dollar" tortilla chips from Hillstone? I asked the cashier to repeat himself and again he said, $14.01. I asked again, are you sure that's the price of a bowl of soup and an iced tea? He looked confused for a moment then shook his head and laughed. Oops. He had 14 on the brain because the number he was handing me was 14. My meal actually cost $7.01. Whew. Much better

But let's face it, the real reason we all go to Celebrity is the iced cookies. They make some of the best in town. Shamrocks for St. Patty's Day today. Yum. (Well, yum, if we had actually ordered any. K and I are both in a wedding in a couple of weeks and have dresses to fit in, so we decided to be good and go home without a sweet treat. Definitely next time).

Cheers!

http://www.enjoycelebrity.com/specialty-bakery

No comments:

Post a Comment