Tuesday, December 28, 2010

WiDiDallas' New Years Resolutions

Overall, 2010 was a pretty good year. It wasn't perfect by any means. Yes I made mistakes and there were things I would have done differently but I did a lot of things right, including indulging my inner foodie and starting this blog. But I'm always trying to grow (unless we're talking about my waistline, which I'm trying to shrink) so I like the idea of New Years resolutions and thought I would share mine with you.

1. Improve my wine palette. I love wine. A lot. I drink a glass of vino (or two, okay, maybe 3) just about every day. I know the basics. I can tell you when I like something and when I don't. I like Argentine and Spanish wines but couldn't name one and, in a taste test, probably couldn't tell you which is which (and if I did it would be complete luck, trust me). I'm completely clueless regarding French wines altogether. So how do I go about improving my palette? Well, I think one answer is . . . drink more wine! And go to things like Get Your Wine on Wednesdays at the Grape or Wine Chat at the Mansion. And start writing down what I drink and what I taste when I drink it. And . . . possibly convince one or two of the sommeliers who read my blog to take pity on me and tutor me on occasion ??? I'll buy. :)

2. Eat (or drink) at a place I've never been to at least twice per month. I'm like everyone else. I get in a rut when it comes to my nights out. This blog helps because I feel like I need to have a new foodie adventures to write about but, still, there's a whole bunch of places, new and old, in Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts I have never tried. Richardson has some amazing Chinese food places that are still foreign to me (ba da dum). And a bunch of new restaurants will be opening in Deep Ellum soon. Need to get out of my 3 mile radius and have some foodie fun! Who's in?

3. Be more adventurous in my food orders. This resolution may come as a surprise to those who know me. I'm one of the least picky eaters on the planet so if something is put in front of me, I'm going to try it and probably like it. I love going to wine dinners and the like because the chef gets to choose what I eat and I find myself eating things I would have never tried otherwise. But when it comes to me actually ordering for myself, I tend to select what I know I will like, rather than what looks interesting. Going to change that in 2011. I'm sure I'll be disappointed a time or two but I may find my new favorite dish in the process. It's all about the adventure, right? Besides, it will give me some funny stories to write about I'm sure.

4. Find a sports bar that I love to go to. I'm a sports girl. Screw the Today Show, I watch ESPN every morning. I love, love, love football (sigh, Cowboys). Come March, I will become obsessed with my brackets (yes, plural) I am always in some sort of sports pool (and usually owing money in the end) and post-season baseball is one of my favorite things in the world (go Rangers!). But, alas, I have yet to find a sports bar in Dallas that I can call mine. I've tried Frankies, Christies and the MAT but I don't feel the love. Need to get out and try a few more. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

5. Cook more. Being in a state of perpetual singleness (again, sorry Mom), I don't cook much at home for myself. Mainly because I hate doing the cleanup. But I love to cook and, when I set my mind to it, I'm pretty good at it. And I love to throw a party. Soooo . . . more dinner parties at my house are in order for 2011!!! Let me know if you'd like an invitation. :)

Wishing you all a very fun and safe end to 2010 (remember, taxis or designated drivers are your friends on NYE) and a glorious 2011. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment