Friday, December 17, 2010

Hillstone

So I met a friend at Hillstone last night for drinks. If that name doesn't sound familiar, it's the old Houston's off Preston, just South of Northwest Highway. I'm just going to call it Houston's because, well, that's what it's always been to me and and just about everyone else in Dallas.

I've always liked the bar there. It is a big, oblong wooden bar where you can see the people sitting across from you which makes getting your flirt on a whole lot easier. It tends to skew towards a slightly older single crowd (not, like, Eddie V's old. More like mid 30s to mid 50s old), and since I'm currently at the younger end of that spectrum, my chance of getting a drink or two bought for me by a nice man is higher than average. I'm not ashamed to admit that is why I like this place. Let's face it, sometimes all a single girl needs is a little attention from the opposite sex . . . and vino she didn't pay for. ;)

They've kept the menu pretty much the same as Houston's. The prime rib is still there. The spinach dip looks the same. The french dip and chicken sandwich are still on the menu. And they still serve the matchstick fries. All good enough, although I've always thought Houston's was a bit overpriced for what you get.

And that brings me to this:

WHATEVER YOU DO -- DO NOT ORDER CHIPS AND SALSA AT HILLSTONE!!!!

This is why -- you will be charged NINE EFFING DOLLARS for effing chips and salsa. You know, that stuff they give you for FREE with unlimited refills at every single Tex-Mex joint in the country? Hillstone thinks theirs is worth NINE EFFING DOLLARS. Trust me, it's not. No chips and salsa is worth NINE EFFING DOLLARS. I don't care if it's laced with gold and cocaine. I just had lunch at Salum, one of the best restaurants in Dallas in my humble opinion, and my portabello mushroom panini with goat cheese and tomatoes and a small salad was $8.50. NINE EFFING DOLLARS for mediocre chips and salsa. Outrageous.
I feel better now.

Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. That is redonk. And very good to know for future visits.

    ReplyDelete