Friday, November 5, 2010

Vickery Park

I declared Friday Franziskaner Friday because, well, it was Friday and I wanted to drink beer and, when I drink beer lately, it tends to be Franziskaner. I prefer the dunkle but the hef works just fine.

We decided to go to Vickery Park. It had been awhile since I had been there to drink and even longer since I had been there to eat. I've always liked this bar, especially since the smoking ban has stopped me from reaking of cigarette smoke when I leave. It's a little different from the usual Henderson places. A little dirty and rough around the edges -- like Henderson used to be before everyone discovered it.

Ordered my Franziskaner. I was denied my opportunity for the perfect pour because I was, alas, handed a warm glass. The former bartender in me is a bit obsessed with pouring my Franziskaner myself with a perfect one inch head. Alas, I need a cool glass to get it right. So had to settle for just a little more foam. Oh well. They had a strangely named beer on tap -- Two Dead Guys. I asked the bartender, so, what does a beer that's namd Two Dead Guys taste like? He responded with a taste. It's a very strong ale and I'll describe it this way - drinking it is like seeing a crime scene involving 2 dead guys. You don't want to look (taste) but you keep doing it anyway.

I ordered the mussels. It was just a half order and I'm glad that's what I ordered because it was as big as my head (and if you know me, you know I have a freakishly large noggin). The mussels were in a ginger lime cream sauce that was just delicious. After I finished the mussels (and I ate everyone save the one that hadn't opened), I started dipping my frites in the sauce (I liked that better than the srirracha ketchup that they give you. I like srirracha (try throwing some srirracha in with some brussel sprouts, delish), but I like regular old Heinz 57 more). The frites were good but not great. I think the fry oil hadn't been changed in quite some time.

C had the salmon which she loved. Served with grilled asparagus and tomatoes, it was the healthy choice of the night. I can always rely on C for that.

I've been to VP for brunch, which VP has received high praise for, and have been unimpressed. But a lot of people declare it to be good, so maybe I just picked wrong or something. Will have to go back and see. Oh, and Tuesdays are half priced food night. Think those mussels will taste even better at half price! ;)

Funny, although I no longer smell like cigarette smoke after going there, a couple of hours inside at the bar has made me smell like, well, bar food. Good bar food, but I still need to take a shower. Odd. And grrrr, I just got my hair done (yeah, bangs are back) and now my hair stinks. So much for keeping the locks hairdresser perfect for Saturday.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment