Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Trinity Hall, Public Transportation, and the AAC

I received a "day of" invitation yesterday to go to the Mavs game from B. I've known B's wife since college and B and I have become friends over the years. We first bonded over common political views then sports. B is always conning me into handing over my cash to play in one of his many sports pools that he organizes during the year (by "conning", I mean he sends me an email saying, Wanna join? and I say yes . . . and then lose in spectacular fashion. But I'm proud to say in the Pool of Greatness which just conclude I ended up winning . . . $1. Woo Hoo!). I hadn't seen a Mavs game yet this season, so I was happy for the invitation.

Now, B lives out in Wylie, a name which I think is roughly translated into "way too far north" so he takes the DART rail to the AAC. Since it was on the way, we met for dinner at Trinity Hall at Mockingbird Station. I haven't been to Trinity Hall in quite some time. I used to be there several times a month due to their good beer and whiskey selections and pub fare. Somewhere along the way, however, I stopped going. I think it was because the parking situation got really ridiculous on the weekends. Or maybe it was because I felt guilty eating fish and chips and drinking lagers in a restaurant that's right next to my gym. Who knows.

I ordered a Franziskaner and the reuben sandwich (New Years' Resolution to eat healthier be damned). The reuben was just okay. Not enough sauerkraut and really, really mild corned beef just kind of made it meh. I overcompensated for ordering this highly caloric sandwich by getting a side salad with a vinaigrette instead of the french fries I really wanted. The salad tried to be fancy with the addition of tasteless apple slices. The vinaigrette I ordered was so thick and pungent, I might as well have ordered ranch. Franziskaner was good though. :)

B ordered the french dip which looked a bit too cheesy to me. He also ordered a "gluten free" beer which I don't quiet get (it's kind of like having a "grape free" wine in my opinion). But that's a blog for another day.

Despite the food being just okay, I'll go back to Trinity Hall. It's a pretty good pub and their fish and chips are pretty darned good. It's a great place to watch soccer games (or a great place to watch guys watching soccer games if that's what you'd prefer) and they have a pretty good whiskey list. They have whiskey tasting menus which will allow a novice some pretty good tastes to figure out the type of scotch you enjoy (I found the tastings to be rather pedestrian but I'm a scotch drinker already). They also have a kids menu which is fabulous if, you know, want to bring your baby to a bar . . .

We then proceeded to Mockingbird Station to catch the light rail to the AAC. It was my first time on the light rail in Dallas. When you live in Lakewood like I do, there's really little need to take the light rail. By the time I parked, paid, and waited for the train, I could be at my destination and on my first drink by the time the train pulls out of the station. Plus, there's that whole urine smell thing . . .

We got to the Mavs game at the AAC. Went to get a beer and noticed an interesting item on the menu - a hot dog BLT. It's a hot dog, wrapped in bacon and deep fried, placed on a hoagie with lettuce and tomato (you know, to keep it healthy). Too full of corned beef to have a taste of that heart attack on a bun but I'd be interested if you've ever had it and lived.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. If you like hoppy beers, Green Discovery is a good beer regardless of its gluten content. Highly recommended for those the beer lovers amongst us trying to go gluten free. It's available at Central Market and fine establishments like Trinity Hall and The Flying Saucer. :-)

    Glad you had fun and I'm glad you went. B

    ReplyDelete